Monday, May 29, 2006

And so it starts...

My weekend with Emily has been fantastic. Apparently she cannot get enough of the ABC song or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Earlier this week the ABC song only had about 5 intelligible letters, but now they are almost all there and the order has stayed pretty consistent. Twinkle Twinkle, however, now has the following words: Twinkle ittle leetle door, how aye upon ... twinkle ittle leetle door. It is really really cute.

Saturday was a dream come true because I got to have kiddo and friends all at the same time and I love that. I worry rather too much that people are bothered by her so it really really makes me happy when I can bring her to some "social" events. Drew and Sarah came over for dinner and then we headed out to the Starlight concert at Wolfpen. Unfortunately Em got crabby about three songs into the really really good music and we had to leave early. Everybody understood, but I was a little disappointed for them nonetheless, and, of course, I still worried that they really did mind but there wasn't really anything anyone could do. Next time I might insist on separate cars so I feel better if people decide to leave early with me. At least I kept everyone entertained with my ability to navigate the interior of my tiny car. The night was definitely good.We traded Sarah for Clare late in the evening. Really, it was a day of most of my favorite people and a really long day at that because Clare and Drew definitely kept me entertained until 3:00 a.m. I love company.

Yesterday I worked a wedding. I don't know that I've ever seen such a circus of a wedding. I'm getting ahead of myself. I love working weddings. Earlier this week I spent a little time with Jacob who mentioned loving his job because of how many opportunities he has to use his brain. Someone says do this and if he hasn't done it before he has to figure it out. That's what I love about this wedding gig. Amy (my new boss) hates making wrist corsages so she handed me a half finished one and said make this look good. I had one try to make it work. And I did. *triumphant smile* The rest of the prep went swimmingly as well and we got to the wedding early. It was crazy! The men were late, the photographer stopped to put on her makeup with the bride and bridesmaids, the stepmother was hilariously persnickety, the groom's family was charmingly foreign, and we all had a time keeping the officiant separated from his ex-husband  who was helping the houseparty because the bride was worried they would have an argument. It was great. I can't believe I get paid to be so amused.

And so it starts...summer of 2006. Jobs, school, kid, friends... Deep breath, smile and go...

No comments:

Post a Comment