Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Adventures in Decorating: Emily's Bathroom Cont.

Seriously you guys, it took maybe a day to peel that wallpaper off of the bathroom walls. Well, to be honest, I only took off the vinyl top layer.  The portion with the glue is still mostly attached to the wall and I intend to keep it that way.  Is this the "correct" way to remove wallpaper? Probably not.   But if I'd opted to continue scoring and wetting and scrapping I would have something that resembled a bathroom less and a demolition site more. In short, big sections of the sheet-rock paper started coming off  with the wall paper leaving me with crumbly wall scats.

There are also a great many areas with green speckling. Ewww. If those speckles are what I think they are, I don't want to risk exposing the actual sheet-rock to mildew. It would really put a damper on the relationship with my landlord if I caused the bathroom walls to rot from the inside out.

Now let me tell you, I am such an awesome hostess I let my friend Sarah use the bathroom in this condition for three days and I forced her to help me work on it.
To this day she insists she didn't mind which is a good thing because once we masked up and spent an hour or so sanding the walls looked like this:
What? It doesn't look any different to you? Yeah, us either.  You'll have to trust me when I say the surface area is 10 times smother.  If you still don't believe me take a look at the wallpaper/wall particles we managed to get EVERYWHERE.


If you think I made Sarah clean that crap up you're absolutely right. I also made her take the family and me to lunch. Then I kissed her good bye and took her happy butt to the airport. I bet she shelled out the extra $6 on the flight home for a strong drink.

When I got home from a short, but sweet good bye with that sweet girl, I discovered Ben had spent some quality time in the bathroom as well.
Yea!  We can put in recessed shelving like I wanted! But that isn't even the best part.  The best part is that once upon a time, somebody felt this was a superb choice for bathroom wall paper:
Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment