Thursday, May 13, 2010

Grilled Mahimahi with Grapefruit, Avocado and Watercress salad

Welcome to another installment of adventures in cooking. I've actually been cooking this whole time so don't worry, I haven't resorted to night after night of take-out. This was a recipe I'd actually been wanting to try for awhile (read: Janice loves avocado), but the fam was less than amenable.  Well, that and I have yet to successfully use the grill so I had to wait for Ben to get home. Finally, a time came when no one could agree on what five meals needed to be put on the calendar for the upcoming week and I was told "to just pick something." Well, you asked for it.

I'm not really to a point where I can make recipes up as I go along so I'm still skanking them from Real Simple and various other places. You can find the recipe and nutritional info here if you are so inclined.  For the sake of easy reference I have included (most of) it below.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless mahimahi, cut into 8 pieces (yeah, about that: fish is kind of pricey and that is a lot of poundage. Plus, eating leftover fish is just a little risky in my world. I just picked up two thick fillets for a total of 10 oz.)
  • 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and pepper
  • 1 grapefruit
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 bunches watercress, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
  • 1 avocado, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 baguette, sliced (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Rub the mahimahi with 1 teaspoon of the oil and season with ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill until cooked opaque throughout, 5 to 6 minutes per side. (This was the husband's job. Good work husband!)
  2. Meanwhile, with a knife, cut away the peel and white pith of the grapefruit. Cut the fruit into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, honey, scallions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.(I totally forgot to include the oil and I totally tossed the chunks of grapefruit in at this point because I evidently don't know how to read directions -oops.)
  4. Divide the mahimahi, watercress, avocado, and grapefruit among bowls and drizzle with the dressing. Serve with the bread, if using.
 Well, it ended up looking oh so pretty:


But, alas, the family was not won over.  Despite a general aversion to grapefruit on all our parts, the dinner was tried by all as evidenced in part here:


See the little bit of watercress hanging out on his slightly bewildered face? Two thirds of us made it through the meal just fine deeming it "okay." The other third? Complete fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment