Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Adventures in Cooking: Kumquat Marmalade

Some time in the past few months I decided I was going to eat more local and more seasonal foods. It has been a pretty interesting ride and a rather enjoyable one. One of my new favorite "winter" recipes is Kumquat Marmalade.  First of all, kumquats are incredibly cute.  Second, it is the funnest food name to pronounce.  Go on...say it. See? You want to smile. Sadly, I have not yet met a kumquat that I have enjoyed eating raw.  They have an edible outside rind that is incredibly thin and sweet.  However, the inside, often described as tart, is usually really bitter. Oh well, I didn't know any of this when I found the marmalade recipe so I gave it a whirl:
Ingredients
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
12 ounces kumquats (smile), rinsed, cut into 1/4 inch rounds, and seeds removed
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus one small sprig

Procedure
1. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the water and sugar and stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Add the kumquats (smile), peppercorns, and fresh rosemary sprig. Stir to mix, making sure to bury the rosemary int he fruit.

2. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the kumquats (smile) are translucent and the liquid has reduced to the consistency of thin syrup.

3. Remove from the heat and discard the sprig of rosemary (and any needles that may have separated). Add the chopped rosemary and set aside to cool.

Eat as soon as it is cool or keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.

I had mine on toasted Italian country bread with goat cheese.
 
As you can see, I couldn't even wait to take the photo before I dug in.  Emily was less than impressed although I think that is due in part to us trying the kumquats (smile) before making the marmalade.  Their bitterness (or tartness or whatever) means the marmalade has a sweetness that doesn't make your teeth hurt.  It is a really nice change from store bought.  I made it again for an FRG party and it was a hit. I think I might make it for Christmas gifts next year.

If you want to check out the original recipe and photos go here. I want to make sure proper credit is given where it should be, but I also blog the actual recipe in case my blog sticks around for several years but the link expires.

Any-who....TaDa! Another beginner cooker recipe. Wee! 

Edited:This is also awesome on pancakes, though still not a hit with the kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment